About Us
Know Your Rights
IL Policies

Job Corps Sites in PA

There are a few important identification documents you need to have as an adult. These documents are important for you for things like: getting a job and cashing your paycheck, signing leases, and getting health insurance. When you leave children and youth care at age 18 or older, the agency must provide you with any permanent documents, like your birth certificate and social security card that are in your family case file. Keep these documents in a safe place or with someone you trust. If you end up getting these documents on your own, here is how you do it.

< Back to Resources

Sample Birth CertificateBirth Certificate

You request your birth certificate from Division of Vital Records of the Pennsylvania Department of Health. The request can be made by mail, in person, and over the internet (if you have a credit card). If you were born in Pennsylvania, to request your birth certificate, you need:

  • to be at least age 18, or
  • if you are under age 18, the request must be made by a family member, lawyer, or caseworker
  • if you do not have the required identification listed below, the request can be made by a family member, lawyer, or caseworker

To make the request, you also need to provide the following information:

  • Your name
  • Date of birth
  • City and county you were born in
  • Your parents' name
  • Your signature
  • Government issued picture i.d. (if you are under 18, the requestor must provide the picture i.d.)
  • $20.00 Check or money order made payable to Vital Records

For more information on requesting your birth certificate this website has more information:  http://www.health.pa.gov/MyRecords/Certificates/BirthCertificates/Pages/default.aspx#.Vmb_nLgrLos

To download the application for a birth certificate click on http://www.health.pa.gov/MyRecords/Certificates/BirthCertificates/Documents/

Sample Social Security CardSocial Security Card

You request a social security card from the Social Security Administration. You need to make the request in person at your local Social Security Office. Go to: https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/ for more information. To find your local office enter your zip code at https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp.

To get your social security card you must:

  • be age 18 or older
  • picture id (this should be state id, but an employee or school id with a picture may be accepted--check https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/ss5doc.htm for more information on what id will be accepted)

To download the application for a social security card see https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ss-5.pdf. There is no fee to get your social security card. Please use the Social Security Administration's website to apply for your card. Other business or websites will charge you a fee, and they may be unsecure.

Sample PA Drivers LicensePA State ID

You can get your state id and driver's license from the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation. To find your local office, click on here. To get your state id card, you need the following identification information if you age 18 or older:

  • Your Social Security Card
  • $28.50
  • One of the items from List A ((to show identity) AND
  • One of the items from List B: (to show residency)

List A

  • Official birth certificate
  • Certificate of US citizenship
  • Certificate of naturalization
  • U.S. Passport
  • U.S. Military Photo ID Card

List B

  • Tax records
  • Lease agreements
  • W-2 Forms
  • Current Utility Bills

PLEASE NOTE: If you do not have any of the items in List B to show residency, you can have a caseworker write a letter that explains your housing situation, that you are a PA resident, and provides a mailing address. In most cases, this is sufficient.

You can download the application for PA state ID at http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/dl_forms/dl-54a.pdf


< Back to Resources