About Us
Know Your Rights
IL Policies

Job Corps Sites in PA

Pennsylvania Chafee Education and Training Grant (ETG)

If you are approved (for an ETG), we are awaiting for passage of the state budget. Payments to the colleges will be made after that time. If it appears that you will be receiving an award amount (approved), that amount can be available at the college after PHEAA and the college determine your need.

The Department of Human Services (DHS) in partnership with the Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency (PHEAA) is pleased to announce that it will administer the Pennsylvania Chafee Education and Training Grant Program. This program is authorized under the Foster Care Independence Act of 1999 as amended by the Promoting Safe and Stable Families Amendments of 2001. The Chafee Education and Training Grant Program offers financial assistance to Pennsylvania undergraduate students who meet the eligibility requirements of the program and who are attending postsecondary institutions approved for the Federal Title IV student financial assistance programs. Eligible youth may receive up to $5,000 per year not to exceed the cost of tuition. Awards will be granted on a "first-come, first-served" basis.

In general, the eligibility requirements for the ETG program are the following:

  • youth otherwise eligible for Independent Living Program Grant services under the State CFCIP;
  • youth adopted from foster care after attaining age 16; and
  • youth participating in the ETG program on their 21st birthday, until they reach the age 23, provided they are enrolled in a post-secondary education or training program and are making satisfactory progress toward completion of that program.

In order to apply for the Chafee ETG program you must do all of the following:

For additional information, please contact Joe Warrick at jwarrick@pa.gov


SAT Help?

Do you need help paying for the SAT test? Do you need help paying your college application fees?

If you are currently enrolled in an IL program or have been in an IL program in PA you may be eligible to get help paying for the SAT and college application fees.

Contact your caseworker or IL worker to see if you are eligible.  Your caseworker or IL worker can use the attached request form to submit the request for SAT and College waiver forms.  If you are having difficulty obtaining information, contact the CWRC at (717-795-9048)

Have your IL coordinator email completed forms, as a word attachment, to:stb101@pitt.edu.